If the thought of heading to a café or grabbing a bite for lunch with your little ones has you conjuring up images of you bumping your pram into tables, unable to enjoy a latte before it goes stone cold and cringing at the thought of your little one screaming the house down when presented with their roast vegetable panini then you may gather some courage after reading this list of kid friendly cafes and eateries in Central Geelong.
- Bear & Bean. These guys get young families because they have young families. The entrance doors are double to allow ease of access for prams, all steps have been removed and they provide a change table, multiple high chairs and a giant black board with chalk that the kids can play with while mum and dad enjoy a delicious meal.
Bear & Bean, 136 Rear Ryrie Street
- Launch Espresso & Kitchen. This popular cafe located on The Bridge inside Westfield Geelong is next to an indoor playground. There’s plenty of seating where grown ups can pull up a pram, grab a bite to eat (we highly recommend their burgers) and then enjoy a take away coffee while you supervise your little ones on the play equipment.
Located inside Westfield Geelong, 95-97 Malop Street, Level 1, 5222 7941
- Freckleduck. This trendy, popular corner cafe boast great food, coffee and polite, helpful and attentive staff who are only to happy to help you find a seat and settle in. Their focus is on great healthy food with the menu listing a section just for the small people in our lives.
Freckleduck, 131 Malop Street
- Panache. Crepes may sound like a fancy word to a kid but pair it with the words 'Death by Chocolate' and we're sure they'll be requested a crepe over any plain old pancakes. In addition to the chocolate crepe there's also a variety of savoury crepes and a few other sweet fruit crepes they may also enjoy.
Panache Café and Creperie, 214 Ryrie Street, 6-8 Eastern Beach Road OR inside Market Square, 5222 8848
- Groove Train is the perfect venue for that mothers group catch up. Open early with loads of space for the prams and strollers. What's even better is that kids eat free with any main meal purchased Monday to Thursday.
Groove Train, Westfield Geelong, Yarra Street, 5229 0229
- Dennys Kitchen. Italian food and kids generally go hand-in-hand. What's not to love about pizza and pasta? At Dennys Kitchen everyone is happy, even the adults who would rather not eat pizza or pasta again, there's other great Italian food on the menu.
Dennys Kitchen, 26 Moorabool Street, 5223 2536
- Hogs Breath has a distinctively casual, fun and relaxed atmosphere, the curly fries alone will have kids excited not to mention their colouring in activities to keep them entertained until the food arrives. Look out for their special 'Kids eat free' offer available Mondays & Tuesdays with an adult purchasing a meal over $20
Hogs Breath, Westfield Geelong, Yarra Street,
- Waterfront Kitchen, offering breakfast, lunch, coffee and lots of room for strollers or large groups. It's also conveniently located across the road from the Poppy Kettle playground which could work as bribery to get the kids to sit still with the promise of a play afterwards.
Waterfront Kitchen, Deakin University, Hay Building, Western Beach Road, 5227 8641
- Cocco Lounge offers a relaxed atmosphere with a varied menu and authentic Italian pizzas you'll be going back for. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner Cocco Lounge is also conveniently located next to the Village Cinema making it the perfect stop pre or post a movie with the kids.
Cocco Lounge, 206-208 Ryrie Street, 5229 9455
- Lic – Lollies, Ice cream and Coffee. It's Geelong's oldest ice creamery and it know exactly what kids want. 37 flavours of gourmet Ice Cream and Gelati, milkshakes, thickshakes, scoopshakes, hot dogs and 90 varieties of pick 'n' mix lollies!
Lic – Lollies, Ice cream and Coffee, 31 Yarra Street, 5229 3891
- Sailors Rest. Little Sailors are well looked after at the newely renovated Sailors Rest. We love their Lunch Tray (available at dinner too) offering a toasted ham and cheese sandwich, apples, strawberries, celery and carrots sticks. Sailor's Rest, 3 Moorabool Street, 5224 2241
- Treehouse Cafe. Treehouse was designed to provide an autism friendly environment and is open to everyone. The space includes a sensory area, all meals available deconstructed and .50 cents from every drink sold is donated back to The Treehouse Geelong (an autism family support group). The Treehouse Cafe, 73-79 Little Ryrie Street
- Lipari. If it's a selection of different pasta's and sauces that you're after then a stop at Lipari is a must. 10 Union Street, 5222 5600
- El Toro Pizza Restaurant. Famous far and wide for delicious pizzas. They offer a kid size pizza that comes with a side of chips and while you wait for your meal kids are given colouring book and pencils. 245A Moorabool Street, 5222 3407